Originally from Taipei, Taiwan, Sandra Chen Weinstein studied ceramic art and exhibited this work in Japan and the US. She moved to Canada and U.S. in the mid-1980s before settling in California in the 1990s. In 2006 she started using photography as her medium of art.
Sandra's work focuses on documentary photography emphasizing social identity, culture, and minorities. Earlier projects include the rich cultural diversity of India. She has dedicated long-term projects on the lives of women, refugee, minority and the American pop culture. She is an advocate in the LGBTQ community, Alliance for Multi-cultures, Olive Tree Initiatives and other socially progressive movements.
She has received many national and international awards including prize winner of The Photo Review; TRAVEL at Santa Fe Photographic Workshop, The Robert Cornelius Portrait Award, and a two-time winner of the Julia Margaret Cameron Award. She was Reader's Collection and 1st International contest winner for People category, National Geographic Magazine. Winner in American Photography 30th Annual Book Collection and the Archive, New York, IDENTITIES NOW: Contemporary Portraits Photography, Pete Hay Halpert Fine Art, NY. FotoForum: The Best Photography Book. Her work has been exhibited nationally and Internationally.
2014 — Curator: Images by Jeff Moorfoot and Robert van der Hilst at FotoDC FotoBazaar, Washington, DC
2012 — Juror: ON THE ROAD: TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY Photoplace Gallery, Middlebury, VT
2010 — Curator: Eli Reed's images at Shin-Kuong International Invitation Photography Exhibition, Taipei, Taiwan
2007 — Curator: Eli Reed's images at Pingyao International Photography Festival, Shanxi, China
Recent Honors & Awards
- 2015 — Fourth Prize for The Photo Review 2015 Competition
- 2015 — Third Prize in TRAVELS photo contest. Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
- 2015 — Finalist for Landscape category International contest. HeadOn Photo Festival, Sydney Australia
- 2015 — Semi-Finalist for Portrait category International contest. HeadOn Photo Festival, Sydney Australia
- 2015 — Director Award - Cloud Nine California series. A Smith Gallery
- 2015 — Mater Program for Darkroom gallery, Vermont
- 2015 — Honorable Mention for Semblance exhibition: Cloud Nine, California series>. Darkroom Gallery
- 2015 — Honorable Mention for "Home" IPA International Photography Award ( Lucie Award)
- 2015 — Honorable Mention for Chinese Willows at LINES Exhibition, Darkroom Gallery
- 2014 — International Photography Awards (IPA): 2 Honorable Mentions: Child Portrait & Environmental
- 2014 — Selected for AI-AP American Photography 30th Anniversary Annual Book & The Archive — images from California & American Pride Series
- 2013 — International Photography Awards (IPA): "Women of Palestine" — 5 Honorable Mentions including Deeper Perspective
- 2013 — International Photography Awards (IPA): "American Pride" — 3 Honorable Mentions including Deeper Perspective
- 2013 — Honorable Mention for "California Girls". A Smith Gallery, TX., Juror: Harvey Stein
- 2013 — Chosen—AMERICAN PHOTOGRAPHY 29, New York, NY
- 2013 — Third place winner for PEOPLE—On the Street category for New York Center for Photographic Art